Ergebnis 1 bis 4 von 4

Thema: Hilfe bei freiberuflicher Künstler

Junior Mitglied
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hilfe bei freiberuflicher Künstler

Hallo! I was directed here by a fellow artist because I was looking for some advice about being a freelance artist in Germany. I just transferred here not too long ago and my language skills are still not good enough to be able to explain myself, specially about such a specific subject, so I hope it's not a problem if I'm writing in English!

I am a digital artist that has been doing private commissions for some years now, and I would finally like to sign up as a freelancer, but even after looking around for information, I have no idea where to start, where do I need to go or what type of documents, proof or else I would need to do so. And I would also like to start selling art in conventions, but I don't know how that would influence my stance as a freelancer. I'm really lost on the whole subject so I would really appreciate any advice or information you can give me. Thank you for your time

Moderator Künstlerbereich Avatar von Maidith
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    There is plenty of literature for freelancers in Germany on how to start a business, the first steps, etc.

I particularly recommend this book -- one of the best on the subject, for the most part available for free online! -- get a dictionary and work your way through it, and come back if you have questions.

----------> https://www.mediafon.net/ratgeber_einfuehrungstext.php3?si=56f053493921f&id =401017f4c01c0

I don't know how good your German is, but if you intend to freelance here you might as well start learning German using this book. Even if you plan to focus solely on English-speaking clients, you still have to pay taxes and get stuff done in the German bureaucracy and that will be much easier if you know the language. Mind you, they make life hard even for us native speakers
    Geändert von Maidith (21.03.2016 um 20:09 Uhr)

Mitglied Avatar von jo b.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most illustrators I know and who can make a living out of it (not me), work for the film-/game industry, advertising agencies and publishers of children's books or science illustration. You can try to get editorial jobs, which usually don't pay the rent, but are a good way to become better known and establish your style. I don't have any better advice how to break into the market, other than making a killer portfolio and apply everywhere.

Interessanter Link Maidith.

Mitglied Avatar von Elif
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Crys and welcome to Germany The bad news is, the regulations about whether you're considered a freelance artist or an art trader aren't clearly defined (it has to do with the question whether you make more income through commissions and original sales or merchandise sales), and in the end it often depends on how your tax office handles things. In any case, a lot of German natives struggle with the administrative stuff too and, as Maidith said, even if you're fluent in German, it's not easy to make your way through these things. The good news, however, is that you can register as a freelance artist anytime within the first year of working, so you can continue taking commissions and building your business without freaking out that you're not registered right away. Where exactly do you live? Maybe there's someone here not that far away so they can help you in person rather than just give vague advice through a forum