Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neues Interview mit Brian Pulido

Neues Interview mit Brian Pulido über seine neuen Horror-Comics:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=7818

CREATING HORROR ICONS WITH BRIAN PULIDO, PART 1
    by Dan Wickline, Guest Contributor
    Posted: July 13, 2006

In these particular stories, slasher stories, female leads are both vulnerable and sympathetic. Both men and women can feel vulnerability as they watch Jessica Biel run away from Leatherface. A lot of these stories are about women gaining power in the face of insurmountable odds. They're going from mousy or weak to empowered and enabled. For me, it is natural to tell that story. My character Lady Death went from a girl named Hope to a ravishing bitch goddess that men fear.

Also many of the fans of horror are women, so it is natural to have female leads.
    (...)

My stuff is hyper-violent. I'm always after a high body count and inventive way to kill people off. It's a gift, I'm sure of it, but I can come up with some horrific stuff. At the heart of it, I think I know what makes me afraid or grossed out, and can reproduce it.

Now the killing element is not the sum total of the experience. It is the icing on the cake. You need a good story with characters you care about. The monster is only as good as the heroes/survivors in the story and it's important to me that these characters read "real". I can't stand stupid characters in horror flicks. You know what I mean, the overtly curious characters that head toward the creepy noise, not away from it. I avoid those characters like the plague.

I like writing rebel characters or outsiders and they show up in many of my stories.
    novio de la Muerte

Mitglied Avatar von Helrunar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hier ist der zweite Teil des Interviews mit Brian Pulido, in dem er interessante Einzelheiten über seine Kindheit in New Jersey erzählt, Kindheitsängste und frühe Berührung mit Horrorfilmen. Hier einige Auszüge:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=7838

CREATING HORROR ICONS WITH BRIAN PULIDO, PART II

I grew up in a town called Long Branch, New Jersey. To this day, I still have dreams and nightmares set in Long Branch, so it's easy and appropriate for me to set "Mischief Night" there. It is a real place.

As a kid, there were so many creepy places in Long Branch and the run down mansion that the "creation event" you mentioned was a real place down the street from where I lived. We were sure it was haunted and were convinced vagrants squatted there.

For this story, I am using Long Branch as I remembered it, down to the details of the High School. The fall in Long Branch was especially creepy. The autumn leaves were falling. It got dark out right after school let out and there was a whole "Lord of The Flies" mentality among the kids. Our parents never knew it, but we played out wars and conflicts throughout the streets. Cedar Avenue was not just a street. It was where the local bully Tiger Turkinton lived. You knew to avoid it if you didn't want your ass kicked.

You know, I enjoy all sorts of genres and could probably kick ass writing them. I love action and crime stories for instance, but early on my mother introduced me to horror. I must have been about five. It was a way that she and I could hang out and communicate. I saw some really strong stuff at that age (at least I thought it was strong. The Hideous Sun Demon has lost its punch on recent viewings) and as the years rolled on, I saw movies like "Night of The Living Dead" within the first few weeks after it came out. Those times shaped my response to the genre. I like dark things.

Horror films scared me, but excited me too and I think that's true to this day. It is a very honest, moral genre. It's deals very head on with death, and I won't lie to you, I fear death. Writing this stuff helps me deal with the inevitable.
    Geändert von Helrunar (17.07.2006 um 21:00 Uhr)
    novio de la Muerte